Sunday, June 16, 2013

Duck Eggs in Potato Crusts etc...


An on-the-fly name for something I winged from the outset. I'd welcome better name ideas.

This was a little time-consuming for me, but worth it in the end.

I started by grating a couple red potatoes and then wringing as much water out of them as I could. (A little tricky considering my recent and lingering injuries). I tossed the potatoes with a little melted butter and then used the mixture to form little crusts in a lightly-oiled muffin tin. Into a 450° oven for a half hour, or until golden and crispy.

On to the assembly. I placed a mozzarella ball in each cavity, then added a fresh duck egg from the back yard. I finished by adding a pinch of fresh finely-chopped chives to the top along with a little salt and pepper. That went back into the oven (now at 400°) for 20 more minutes.

After ten minutes I put the asparagus, also from the garden, into the oven. I love asparagus cooked this way. Simply roll the spears in a little olive oil that has been spread on a cookie sheet, then season however you'd like. This morning I used a little alderwood smoked salt.

During the final ten minutes of baking, I cut the English muffins and got the Canadian bacon ready for assembly.

Next came the Hollandaise sauce. I don't think I could ever be a saucier like Chef in Apocalypse Now! I just don't have the patience for whisking anything over low heat until it thickens. But, I did it anyway. Two egg yolks (this time chicken, from the store) and two tablespoons water, until frothy, then over a double boiler on low heat, until thickened. One third cup melted butter is then slowly whisked in. Slowly, to keep the sauce from breaking. Finish it off with a little lemon juice, some white pepper and a pinch of salt.

We are just about ready to eat.

Toast the muffins, place a slice of Canadian bacon on each, add a potato-crusted egg thingy (that is the technical term for you novices out there), and spoon a little sauce over the top. Don't forget the asparagus!

This came out really nice. Even the sauce, although I would be a little more patient while adding the butter. It did separate a little. Susie woke up when the muffins were just about done toasting, just in time to eat. She is finishing up the dishes as I write this.

Bon appétit!

No comments: