Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Key Lime Cheesecake

The days of payday cheesecakes may be behind me, but I still make a mid-month cheesecake for Susie to take to the good people at Benton County Mental Health. This month she requested a Key Lime Cheesecake. Who am I to argue? Especially since they usually save me a slice after the feeding frenzy has subsided.

For the crust I used Golden Oreos. Golden Double-Stuffed Oreos. No need for butter with all that creamy filling serving as a binding agent. I pressed the crumbs into my parchment-lined cheesecake pan and put it in the freezer to set.

Cream cheese and sugar are beaten on medium-high for 3 minutes. No more. No less. The number is three. I digress, but tip my hat to the Pythons. I turn the mixer down to medium at this point. Two eggs plus two egg yolks are incorporated, one at a time. Then key lime juice and vanilla are added. Finally, I gently mix in a tablespoon or so of lime zest. Just for the visual effect.

The mix is poured over the frozen crust and placed in a 325° oven for 45-55 minutes. I placed a pan with some water on the lower rack to try to keep the air moist and hopefully, prevent the splitting that sporadically plagues my cheesecakes. (For the record: It worked).

While the cake baked, I mixed up the topping. Sour cream, sugar, key lime juice and vanilla are mixed together in a small bowl.

After 45 minutes, I removed the cake from the oven and let it cool for ten minutes on a wire rack. (Leave the oven on!) I then, very carefully, poured the topping on the surface of the cheesecake. Even more carefully, I spread the topping evenly over the entire surface. To finish it off, I sprinkled a bit of lime zest over the topping.

Back into the oven for five more minutes, and the cake is done. Allow it to cool for a couple hours before covering with plastic wrap and refrigerating.

I'll have to wait for reports from the mental health workers to see how it came out, but if the batter that I "cleaned" off the mixing bowl, paddle, and spatula is any indication, it will be delicious.

Bon appétit!

No comments: